Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Leone RX 1987 4 plug ecu engine tach wire / rpm

Hi

I am new here on subie forums... I,ve got problem with installing "piggyback" computer to my subaru rx leone turbo 1987.. It has 4 plug ecu cable, and the problem i,ve got is that i dont know where i can get the tach/rpm signal for my piggyback. It need tach/rpm signal for working. So does the 4 plugs what goes to ecu have this tach/rpm signal wire? And if it does what wire is it ?

- Greetings Virta

First you could Tellun what piggypack you area going to usein ? I doubt That it would work properly in ea82. Usually you take the singnal to tach from the coil or from the ecu pin 17 if I remember correctly.

Heres a great article about megasquirting ea82t take a look it has lots of info in it:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_subaru_rx_turbo.htm

IMHO it's not really worth the efforts to use those piggypack ecus. Standalone especially in this engine is the way to go.

Edited by -tombba-

Hi!

Im using greddy e-manage ... We got some results, but it still does not get the rpm signal right. Yes i have read that article, and i have an MS1 v2.2 on my other car (Vr4 Galant) but it was little hard to install. We wanted to test a piggyback before installing haltech or other stand-alone ecu. And If we put the stand-alone Ecu we are going to put the ignition on it too, subarus ignition is kind of old.

Greetings Virta

From '88 XT FSM:

On the 4-pin connector to the distributor, the Black wire has the position signal, and the White wire has the reference signal.

This isn't waht he needs

Don't hack into the optical disty wires.

He needs the yellow wire that off the Neg. side of the coil. 

Or

From the back of the dash.

There is no "tach" pulse wire at the ECU.  It goes from the  neg side of coil to the dash.