Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what did i do wrong gl10 turbo ej22na swap!

Recently swapped in an ej22 took it for a first drive today... seemed to be functioning fine then I shut down and now nothong works... its like no power to the eom ecu but the ej ecu is working fine... if I could get a push botton start and somhow get the fuel pump to run I'm sure it would run... the hot side of the pump is commected to the ej fuel pump relay... how do I ground it or can I?

Start with the basics.

Power to ECU?  Do you have the CEL hooked up to the EJ ECU?  If so is it cooming on with KeyOn/EngineOff?

Check fuses, Check grounds.

The EA ECU doesn't need to get power for anything anymore.

Stupid question... what is a cel... not familar with the term... bit the ecu is hooked to and independant switch on the das and all power runs to that swith it is independant of the oem ignition switch... and if I uplug the ecu.. tue fel fump dosent run and the digi dash wont work... the only reason i cant start it is because the fuel pump wont operate if there was a way to fix that ut would run...im sure

G loyal... I apologize for my incoherant messages... i I tend to panic when my ej swap is stuck at a gas station in hilltop in tacoma... I did what you said and it was a wire or fuse thing under the hood in a little box...a little black thing... is there a reason why it may be heating up?... car is how... thanks for helping me think simple again

Wow sorry to hear you are having trouble here.  How did you power each of the power feed wires to the ECM and the relays?  It sounds like you have constant power to relays where they need to be switched and vice versa.  

They are all in a switched power.... the switch is on the dash... its seperate from the ignition as to not draw to much power fron the ignition switch... but nothing in this setup uas a constant 12v... I was care ful not to do that as i could have a dead battery on my hands out in the middle of nowhere

You really need to read the EJ swap guide again.

There is no reason not to hook the EJ ECU to the Ig. switch.  Also, the ECU should have a constant 12v for it's memory.

Additionally it souldns like you don't have your "check engine" light hooked up, and you aren't using the EJ tach and Vss wires.  Or the EJ fuel pump relay.

And sounds like your fusible link is burning out.  Could just be from the more powerful EJ alt, or it could be that you've got the whole EJ system powered off a circuit that should only be for accessories.

What year harness and ECU are you using?  You should be able to tap in all the nessecary EJ wires at the EA computer plugs.  Everything is in those connectors.  Tach, Vss, Ig. switched power, batt power, CEL, fuel pump relay signal(grounds relay) and start signal.

You've got it, just need to do a more complete wiring job.

Ej fuel pump relay is hooked up... tach dosent work with the digi dash and I'm gonna have to reread the ej sway thread on here somewhere... for the cel... I don't want to cut up the origional uarness much as would like to be able to return it to stock... ill post a pic of the bad furlsr in a sec... it wasn't obvious till I pulled it out what happened bit it wasn't even tight... I went and grabbed another from the wrecker today just got back... the ej ecu it set up so I can just unplug it and pull it all from the engine bay along with tue engine... the only thing that is hooked to switched 12v when key on is the electric cooling fan... I onew this wasn't gonna be a piece of cake... but not a pita!

Ej fuel pump relay is hooked up... tach dosent work with the digi dash and I'm gonna have to reread the ej sway thread on here somewhere... for the cel... I don't want to cut up the origional uarness much as would like to be able to return it to stock... ill post a pic of the bad furlsr in a sec... it wasn't obvious till I pulled it out what happened bit it wasn't even tight... I went and grabbed another from the wrecker today just got back... the ej ecu it set up so I can just unplug it and pull it all from the engine bay along with tue engine... the only thing that is hooked to switched 12v when key on is the electric cooling fan... I onew this wasn't gonna be a piece of cake... but not a pita!

Well, it's not hooked up correctly if you can't get the fuel pump to run. The EJ ECU should ground the relay to operate the pump.  You probably need to provide a ground to the pump itself.  The original EA MPFI ECU Grounded the pump directly, so you need to run the ground wire for the pump. Just screw it to the body somewhere back near the pump.

Tach can indeed be made to work with digidash.  IIRC, it takes a resistor in line or something?  Someone has solved it and the Vss.  Presslab?Euglogious?

You don't have to "cut up" the original wiring....just tap in to the needed wires.  Easy way is to use a lighter to melt the insulation, strip it back to get some exposed wire, and solder the EJ wire onto it.

All of my EJ swaps I leave the original wiring intact.....just "piggyback" onto it.

I can understand wanting it to be "removable".. But really, why?  you are gonna want to downgrade later?  Doing a more thorough install will save you from problems in the future from wires rubbing and shifting.

ok i understand i read the thred for the digi dash but i didnt know it could just be in line ill have to reread that one. and yur right i dont have plans to go back to that turbo pile the fuel pump is working now after the fuse fix ill drive again today and see how it acts then ill look into the tach fix.. ive got manuall guages for oil pressure and voltage gotta figure out the water temp guage i reall want that... thanks for the help car is getting a lift today and some decent tires... and by the way this is the fuse thing that was acting wired it still worked but its all corroded and stuff