Ultimate Subaru Message Board

According to this scan from the factory manual,

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/absdiag.jpg

code 9 is a faulty motor and/or motor relay or broken or shorted harness circuit.

Does the ABS work at all?  With the key in the ON position, but engine not running....if you unplug the electrical connector on the ABS pump, do you hear it run at all?

Are you saying that when you unplugged the ABS connector the car wouldn't start at all?

You probably need to do some more troubleshooting before replacing the motor/pump.  You may be able to replace just the motor, but I haven't tried that.  If you can I'd make sure to get a motor from the same brand ABS pump.  There were two different brands I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally went to work on this and discovered there wasn't a relay plugged into the ABS motor. I got a relay from the junk yard, now when I drive, the ABS kicks in everytime when I'm nearly stopped.  It does this for up to driving about 3 miles, then the light comes on and the ABS doesn't work.

One of your wheel sensors is bad or has dirt/metal flakes stuck to the end, or one of the tone rings is full of crud. Tone ring and sensor are behind the brake rotors. The sensor has 1 bolt securing it to the knuckle.

When you check the sensors, each one should have a small pin on the very end of the sensor. If the pin has corroded away the sensor has to be replaced.

Hate to say it but I didn't recheck the codes when I got home. I had already turned the car off before remembering to check. I'll be running errands tomorrow and hopefully will think to check for codes. 

Does the same code come up when you check the computer?

Can I can just unbolt the sensors behind the knuckle to check them. 

One of your wheel sensors is bad or has dirt/metal flakes stuck to the end, or one of the tone rings is full of crud. Tone ring and sensor are behind the brake rotors. The sensor has 1 bolt securing it to the knuckle.

When you check the sensors, each one should have a small pin on the very end of the sensor. If the pin has corroded away the sensor has to be replaced.