Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about Rack Mounting on a 2011 Impreza

Looks like I am getting a 2011 Impreza!   Left a deposit and hoping everything goes through this weekend.     My 98 Outback looks like it will get sold off as a rolling shell since I have no time to do the HG these days.

Anyway this Impreza is really nice,  a 5door.  The only thing it lacks is a roof rack.   I would like some advice from those that have put an aftermarket (or purchased and installed the factory rack).   From looking at the Thule and Yakima catalogs it looks like it bolts to mount points on the roof.   Is this true?     Is that my best option?

I would probably be leaning towards the Yakima product since i have an old Yakima rack from another car.   So i think i would only need the mount adapter and upright piece.    I would be able to resuse the crossbar,  ski mount and also Yakima Rocketbox  i already have.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or issues i need to think about?   thanks

I looked at the Yakima site and for a 2011 Impreza with a naked roof it says that you could use Q Towers.  Those clamp to your roof with clips that fit the roofline of your particular car (Q128 in the front and Q83 int he rear for your new ride).  Those clips have become pretty expensive over the years (I worked at REI in the 90s so I fit a lot of cars back in the day and remember the prices a lot cheaper!).

You could look for both the towers and clips on eBay or Craigslist.  Although it seems like CL has people selling entire systems more often and not just towers and/or clips.

I had a factory rack added (by the dealer) to my new 2012 Dodge van and I have to say that process was painful.  They ordered the wrong rack, twice it arrived damaged in shipping, then they scratched up the paint on the roof during installation, dirty finger marks on the headliner...but I'm not bitter.  Of course, that was my first new car ever so I was more easily miffed.  Just think seriously if you want to trust a dealer or private shop to install a factory rack.

Don't rule out Thule gear if you see a good deal on some used stuff.  You already need new towers/clips and Thule has a similar system that clamps to the roof.  You can use your Rocketbox with Thule without problem (may require a different bracket to accommodate the rectangular bar).

Side note: What kind of shape is your '98 in?  

• Like 1

Well I concur with what upnorthguy said... sounds like you I only need to buy the q-towers. I would suggest going with Yakima because you already have some stuff for it. The brands match up with each other than mixing and matching (obviously) but one thing I would suggest is going on Craigslist and looking for the q-towers that correspond with your car (look at the Yakima site car fit guide)

Hope this helps,

Jotterman

that's what i am doing.  Bought the mounting pads (Landing Pad 11)    already and just need the towers.  That is the only generation of Yakima hardware that supports the way they can use the factory mounting points.   The thing i have learned about the towers is that they have changed much.    Q Towers are no longer the model,  its the Control Tower now.