Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV Questions - EA81

Howdy, 

I had a few questions that I was unsure of after my weber carb installation. 

1) Should I hook up the optional return line hose? Does it really make that much of a difference? 

2) Please see attached photo. I took a hose from the top of the valve covers and connected them with a T and ran it to my air filter. But- you can see where the arrow is in the photo, should this be plugged or should it have a breather on it? I plugged both sides for now.

Also, I am changing the exhaust flange gaskets and as I was taking one side of the y pipe off the studs came out nice and clean, the other side did not. I am certainly going to replace the studs off the side that came out but on the other side, half of the threads came out of the stud where the but screws on. There are enough threads that I could still use them and it will work, but ultimately, id like to replace them. Is it much of a risk of trying to extract these or try to get them out? I would hate to have to re-tap or drill these holes again. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help guys!

-Millhouse

post-50677-0-60679600-1389966986_thumb.jpg

For the Weber installation, one changes the fuel filter(s) first. Your fuel pressure should be checked. 2---4psi works well and your pump should do that normally. There should have been a 'T' fitting to allow fuel return to tank in the hoses or at the Hitachi. The fitting is to allow excess fuel back to the tank.  I used the restrictor fitting for my EA82 and had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up for start up. The fittings from the Hitachi work fine. I also set the float bowl float to conservative settings.  If you flood out and or run rich, then you should consider using the fuel return line.

What did you hook up to the PCV fitting at the manifold???? There are posts showing hose hook ups on the site.  Search 'PCV hose mods'.

Member 'Kanury' has good images of an EA82.

You will need penetrating oil, propane torch, double nut set-up, vise grips and luck for the seized-in exhaust studs. Double nut the studs. Heat the studs and spray with penetrating oil. Don't crank on the studs. First, just a little back and forth turning(wiggle) to try to help the penetrating oil work in. Repeat. Repeat. It might take a little time but you are trying not to rip the threads out. If the threads on the stud get shreaded, then you are at the 'vise grip' stage.  Installing a Heli-Coil is a possibility in these situations.  Go easy and try not to apply to much power. Heat-soak, heat-soak etc..

Good luck.  Most of us have been laying on the ground, drilling up and installing inserts/Heli-Coils.