Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Outback alternator

Just for fun a photo of the engine. Kind of crappy, my lighting is not good so it was primarily lit by the flash.

Update on the battery/alternator issue. Heh. Under hte bright light of a good flashlight I did see corrosion UNDER the connectors. Cleaned them. THe car started right up this morning after sitting in the cold garage.

It started up tonight after work, again after sitting in a cold garage. 

as far as the engine goes...I can't tell. Thanks for the advice, I think it'd be easier to eyeball if I'd ever seen BOTH engines in the wild because the valve covers look pretty humpy to me..

I'm sorry if I'm annoying. 

post-51569-0-21649900-1390352048_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghageysh

And the winner loos like... 2.5.? Kinda looks like 2.5 timing covers on it. Hard to tell from a straight down shot.

I suppose its possible the P/O put a 2.2 block in it with the 2.5 heads. Not common but doable.

So, right smack behind/under the alternator just off the left of center line of the block will be a casting. Rectangular, about 1"x2", it'll say EJ2X. The X being either a 2 or 5, which will indicate engine size.

And the winner loos like... 2.5.? Kinda looks like 2.5 timing covers on it. Hard to tell from a straight down shot.

I suppose its possible the P/O put a 2.2 block in it with the 2.5 heads. Not common but doable.

So, right smack behind/under the alternator just off the left of center line of the block will be a casting. Rectangular, about 1"x2", it'll say EJ2X. The X being either a 2 or 5, which will indicate engine size.

I need better lighting,  my flouresents in the garage don't like the cold. I think 2.5 though. Little disappointed but I'll deal with it :D. since it looks like I'll be replacing the alternator I can check, but still betting 2.5

the dealer can verify by your VIN...

I know it's SUPPOSED to be a 2.5L based on my check of the VIN,  the man who sold it to me kept saying it was the 2.2L it's old enough that a swap was a possibility. I was only trying to determine if it had been swapped. I've since determined that it hadn't (got back in and saw the very rectangular valve covers). The only real reason I was hoping a 2.2L had been swapped in was I'd rather deal with an non-interference engine - now I know I *have* to get timing belt/tensioners and such replaced right away or risk damaging the engine. I've never done a timing belt myself - not enough confidence.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude up there :D didn't mean to be. The little metal plate on the driver's side of the car says it came with  2.5L engine, just was holding out hope it'd been swapped for a 2.2L that's all.

Edited by ghageysh