Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb 2 USMB! My first Sub Loyale. Sachs strut question

Hi All,

This looks like a great group of Sub owners. I've been checking out all the post and you all seem to be a great bunch of guys (and gals)!

Ok enough pleasentries.

I just bought a '94 Loyale 4wd wagon w/160k on her for a $1000 bucks. I bought CV axels, front bearings, rear KYB's and now to my problem, front Sachs struts.

I bought Sachs front left p/n 031-173 and right p/n 031-172 from FCP Import for $50some each. It appears the brake hose bracket it welded on backwards on both sides (stop! I know what your thinking, this dumas has got them reversed!). The guys at FCP are great and are working with me on this, but it looks like they will just have to refund my money which they are more than willing to do. I didn't want to pay the $124 for oem Showa ones from the dealer, but I will over the Monroe or Gabrials.

My question is if anyone else has bought these and had any trouble with the install.

Thanks,

Mike

Auburn, WA

I personally haven't worked with the Sachs struts before, but I believe they might be a rebadged Tennaco (Monroe) strut (Sachs is similar to Beck/Arnley).

I do have KYB struts on my Loyale (the GR-2s) and they fit and work great. Slightly stiffer than the Monroes that were on there, but does liven-up the handling a bit.

I ordered a set too.

And sadly.....the left side one had the tabs on the wrong side....

I returned it and got another that showed up and was the same.

I modified it to make it work.  And with the lift I don't use the brake line brackets anyhow.....Well, I zip tie to them so it's all good.

I was going to write a letter to them telling them they got there jig wrong.

I think they are confused because EA81 struts are the same both sides.....

They are doing that with EA82s, too,  but they are suppoesed to be mirror image of eachother so they end up with tabs on the wrong side.

Edited by Gloyale