Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sealed Beam to Halogen Headlight Swap

Hi, I'm here helping to get my son's 87 DL wagon on the road after a front end collision.  Straightening out the radiator support, replacing the hood, that's all pretty straight forward.  What we've discovered is that there are NO Loyale's in the wrecking yards in our area with the four-light sealed beam setups, but tons of them with the single halogen headlight.  So, we're going to follow the path of least resistence and convert his car to the two headlight setup.

Getting everything to bolt up is pretty straightforward, along with getting new side marker lights and a matching grille.  What I'd like to get from someone is a wiring diagram so I can properly splice the halogen sockets into his harness.  Or, because they are halogen, do I need to add some relays?  I've already bought the new halogen units, so don't try to talk me out of this. :-)

-Jay

I'm planning on doing this on my 88 DL as well, since I don't like the sealed beam design lamps.  What I've come up with (along with my wiring guy) is a plug and play relayed harness that will basically replace the need to do any rewiring or swapping over of the old harness for the 4 lamp setup (my harness is also going to have plugs built in for Hella Micro DE fog lamps too).

If you are interested in going the path of least resistance, I could probably have a harness made up and shipped to ya.  Shoot me a PM and lets chat about it :)

The main benefits to going with a relayed harness is better power running to the lights, as well as the option to use higher wattage bulbs (which I plan to do, using 85w/80w Osram Hyper bulbs instead of stock 55w/50w bulbs) . 25+ year old wiring thats been through hell and back, while probably being able to handle higher wattage (although not recommended and certainly not for long if you went that route) just isn't up to snuff for my tastes :)

EDIT:  By better power going to the lights, I mean cleaner (less resistance due to old wiring) power.  Another option to consider if you can't get this setup to work is a set of 165mm H4 housings.  Check out our shop website. www.rallylights.com ;) (shameless self promotion lol)

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

Hey TurboSubaruBrat!  I'm not too far from Compton - I live near the corner of Kelso Rd. and Bluff Rd.  I'll probably take you up on that offer.  Do you happen to have the wiring harness for the passenger side marker light as well (from the light to the harness plug)?  it got sheared off in the collision and I stupidly forgot to grab one on my trip to the wrecking yard yesterday. We found an 85 GL in Independence that gave up a hood, lights, and grille, so we're going to Frankenstein together a car that works and looks reasonably decent - hopefully.

TheWanderer, I understand the advantage of feeding clean power to the headlights through relay switches, and I might very well go that direction.  But, is there any problem with tapping power from the original sealed beam harness?  I just noticed how thick the halogen wire leads are, and don't recall the wires feeding the sealed beam units being that beefy.

turbosubarubrat, I'll contact you via PM soon about those marker lights, I'll be needing at least one, probably both.

Everyone Else: I've opened up the wiring harness on my DL, and have decided to just wire the halogen lights into the existing harness (simpler, cheaper, quicker than converting to relay system).  I initially thought it would be a straightforward swap since the wires *looked* to have the same codes - but they're not.

Sealed Beam leads: red/white tracer - red/black tracer - red/blue tracer

Halogen leads: red/white tracer - red/black tracer - red/ NO tracer

I should probably just assume that the sealed beam red/blue connects to the halogen red, and the others connect to their matches.  But, I just want to be sure. :-)

Thanks,

-Jay

Never mind...after some further investigation, I discovered that the left and right headlight wire bundles have slightly different wiring codes, and I was trying to attach a left halogen plug to a right headlight harness.  D'oh!   :wacko:

Well, that's just frickin' great. :angry:  Paid as much for just the parts we picked up at the junk yard - and this car looks like it has the sealed beam headlight units.  Wish this car had come up five days earlier. 

Well, that's just frickin' great. :angry:  Paid as much for just the parts we picked up at the junk yard - and this car looks like it has the sealed beam headlight units.  Wish this car had come up five days earlier. 

It's been going on and off craigslist for a couple months i've thought about getting it but don't want  to deal with cutting up a car into 5 pieces just to get a single range 4wd transmission. If it was a dual range or a awd i would have been all over it and fitted it in my brat.