Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Engine Fuel Filter Question

Howdy, I have an 1985 EA81 Subaru Brat. I purchased this with some modifications. Most of the emissions were deleted. 

With that said, I do have a few questions. Keep in mind I am pretty new to the older style Subarus. 

You will see the photo attached has 3 prongs coming off the filter. The way this is set up cannot be right, but I am wondering how to fix it...

What needs to go into the top and where do the fuel in and fuel out go? I am wondering if this has something to do with the venting. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

All the best,

Andrew

post-50677-0-63171600-1401897292_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since I've owned a Gen2, but I don't remember there being 3 inlet/outlet connections -- I remember there being only 2. I believe that the previous owner put in a filter that was not exactly the right one, upside down, and capped off the unneeded connection. I did a quick google search and found this one at O'reilys:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MGD0/33089/02515.oap?year=1985&make=Subaru&model=Brat&vi=1267747&ck=Search_02515_1267747_-1&pt=02515&ppt=C0024

33089.jpg

The bowl of the filter should be down to separate out water, which is heavier than the gas. I'm pretty sure that the above info is right. Perhaps a current owner of a Gen2 can confirm.

Edited by bendecker

I have a 84 parts Brat and an 86  running Brat and  both have the three port filter mounted to the fire wall in the engine compartment. 

It does mount with the single port up.  

In an unmolested emissions control set up that port is connected via a weird shaped T fitting to  return line from the carb to the gas tank..  (the Port on the right of your photo should go to the carb. )

If restoring the removed emission plumbing is not a concern, I wouldn't worry about it.  Or just replace it with a two port filter.

There is a second two port filter, as shown in Bendecker's photo, which is mounted underneath the bed on the drivers side.  I would recommend checking/replacing it as it gets gunked up first.

Sadly, here in Phoenix, AZ  anything newer than 1966 needs to be smog tested.   I have had to learn more about Hitachi carburators and emission controls than I ever wanted to know.

Good luck!  

• Like 1

The tri-barb filter is actually a vapor separator.  The top barb separates fuel vapor that comes through the fuel supply.  The actual filter is on the underside of the vehicle in front of the driver's side rear wheel.