Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question: which o'ring can I use to seal the oil pickup tube (inside the pan) against the block? I was 100% sure I had all the stuff I needed to finish putting together an engine over the weekend but,alas, this [expletive]o'ring was missing.

The part number is 806917070 but the local dealer won't have it before Thursday, and I really want to close the engine asap, but since this is a rather important o'ring in contact with oil I'd like to play it safe.

Thank you people.

I found slightly different numbers (17.4mm ID x 2.4mm), and ended up buying a Dorman set of viton o'rings including a 17.1 x 2.6. I closed the oil pan after dinner and started installing the timing idlers. Hopefuly by the weekend I'll have a running car (knock on wood)

Do not use an oring at the PVC/drain tube at the back of the oil pan..  It requires a flat gasket.  It's a goofy design, but if you don't properly seal the drain line, it will suck oil up into the intake at a rate of 1/2 to 1 qt/1000 mi. [ask me how I know].  Yes you can put on a oring and goop it up with gray stuff and it probably will seal.  Good Luck.  And by the way, do not put a gasket on the oil pan.  Obviously, this will reduces the sealing pressure at the drain tube and increase the chances of a leak at that point.  Of course, without a gasket, using the grey stuff, a leak in the oil pan itself is a real possibility. 

Do not use an oring at the PVC/drain tube at the back of the oil pan..  It requires a flat gasket.  It's a goofy design, but if you don't properly seal the drain line, it will suck oil up into the intake at a rate of 1/2 to 1 qt/1000 mi. [ask me how I know].  Yes you can put on a oring and goop it up with gray stuff and it probably will seal.  Good Luck.  And by the way, do not put a gasket on the oil pan.  Obviously, this will reduces the sealing pressure at the drain tube and increase the chances of a leak at that point.  Of course, without a gasket, using the grey stuff, a leak in the oil pan itself is a real possibility. 

I always use "the Right Stuff" from permatex. 

O-ring works fine as long as it's proper size........and you get the pan seated tight (no gasket)

On that same topic sort of........I have also pulled pans that the tube had been pushed "down" into the pan....most likely from the pan being flipped upside down and leaned on while cleaning..........this forces the sealing lip to be further down....and not fully seal to the block....no matter what o-ring or seal you use.

Did you make sure to put a new o-ring on the vent/pcv drain back tube in the back corner of the pan?

For a second I had one of those "oh cr_p" moments :)

Then I understood which tube you were talking about :D The answer is yes, I got the OEM o'ring/washer and remembered to replace it. Back when I started taking apart this engine (too long ago) I made this long list of the things I needed, and checked it a thousand times. It included the o'rings for the oil pump, the oil fill tube, the two for the dipstick and whatnot. Everything you can imagine and then some. Except the <...> oil pickup o'ring :/

In fact I ordered even the screws for the rear cover, except I ordered the ones for the stamped steel cover and after I placed the order I discovered the one on the car is the cast aluminum variety. Live and learn... :)