Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2014 Outback Premium. It is common for RPMs to be a little higher at startup but I'm experiencing very high RPMs after starting the car and driving it for a couple miles. At about 40 mph my car was up tp 4000 rpm and it takes about 3 miles of driving for it to drop to normal levels (and no I'm not flooring the pedal at all). I brought it to the dealer and they said it's normal but it just doesn't seem right. 4000 RPMs is abnormally high in my book. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any thoughts on the cause? Thanks in advance.

What transmission does it have? The CVT trans may hold a lower ratio until the trans fluid reaches a certain temp.

The regular automatics will hold in lower gears until the trans is warm.

This can also depend on the terrain where you drive. If you're driving uphill the TCU sees extra throttle input and may hold a lower gear until you get to the top of the hill.

Is there a "sport" or performance mode button that has been pushed? That will keep the trans ratio lower to keep the engine in a higher power band.

Try waiting a few minutes after starting before you drive off and see if it changes the behavior any. I suspect the TCU is holding a lower ratio to aid in warmup of the trans fluid. Letting the car idle for a few minutes before driving will help warm the fluid without making the engine do extra work.

I agree that 4,000 rpm is excessive, especially for a cold engine.

That sounds wrong to me. I have a 2013 Legacy Ltd with the same drive train.

Today it was only 15ªF when I started my car. The idle ran up to about 2,800 rpm the leveled off at about 2,200. After about a  2 minute warm up at idle I drove fairly easy on the road between 35 and 45 mph. My rpm never went higher than 3,000 in that time.