Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester low-beams and fog lights not working

I got a phone call last night from my daughter who's away. She said the low beam headlights on her 99 Forester both went out at the same time. The high beams work fine. I asked her to try the fog lights with the stalk in low beam and she said they aren't working either.

Just so I'm prepared when she comes home this evening, is there a fuse for the low beams in the Forester that controls that entire circuit, as well as the relay for the fog lights? Or am I looking for something else?

Check fuses first. If the low beam fuses are blown check the connectors at the bulbs for melted terminals.

There are separate are relays for fog and head lamps, unless for some reason it has some kind of aftermarket wiring for the fog lights.

The low beam lamps and the fog lamp relay are grounded through the hi/lo dimmer switch. If the dimmer switch burns out it can cause this.

Possible other sources kinda depend on if it has Daytime Running Lights.

Replacement part was brand new. Standard brand, bought through RockAuto.

I'm out with the car now. All fuses are good under the hood. The relays in the underhood fuse block click when I turn the lights on. High beams work fine, still no low beams or fogs.

Ok. With headlight switch "on", I'm getting 12v at all (3) terminals on the headlight connector. When I switch to high beam, (2) stay at 12v and the other goes to 0v, as it should do with a ground switched system, correct? I checked the bulbs in my Impreza, and they're both good. Any ideas? Bad turn signal/dimmer switch?

• 4 years later...