Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intermittent start? what is it!

Grounds are a big deal! I got grounds everywhere, as they seem to break like every other part or a car does...lol.

Drove fine today, almost like its supposed to. New belts, rotated the tires, reinstalled the interior panels. Almost back to working order. I think im gonna install a starter switch for the prime function because it does take a bit of starting to get it to fire unless I toggle the fp switch, then it fires right off. Maybe my fp is just louder than most...i havent bought a new one in years it seems. (Though this damn issue pushed me through 3 off my shelves...lol)

I think im gonna install a starter switch for the prime function because it does take a bit of starting to get it to fire unless I toggle the fp switch

It wouldnt be hard to tap in a "555 type" delay timer contraption to trigger when key on, but seems more work than gain. Or simply a primer button, done it befor, it works. But i have 5 registered cars that spend alot of time sitting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-Delay-Timer-Switch-Adjustable-Module-0-to-10-Second-/190888145497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c71d1f259

If your cranking time has increased due, solely, to this small change then Ide say you have another issue. The lack of priming cycle should have no effect on normal starting. Fuel should be spilling into the float as soon as you turn the starter. Remember the float is a reservoir as well. Since you have not let the car sit for any real length of time you may have a leak. If the leak is internal the car will be hard to start hot due to the over rich condition, and hardish to start cold do to a dry bowl. Fuel will disappear after days/weeks of sitting but not overnight. 

Ive also found this to be a TRUTH, so please understand Im not belittling you in any way... The placebo effect. Since you noticed this absence of priming, it may have made you a little more critical of your starts. I do it to myself all the time. Just the other day my wife was whining about a rough idle on the Accord. I pulled it into the garage, dropped a couple of wrenches on the floor (loudly) and had a beer. Then I told her it was fixed, gave here some auto mumbo jumbo about vacuum leaks. She told me the next day it hasnt run this good in years. 

Edited by ihscout54

Thanks for the reply! I will look into the float to see if there is junk in the bowl or something like that. Its easy enough to do. This weber has been dd on two vehicles and for over 15 yrs so it might need some loving. It isnt hard to start hot at all though but you may be right about me being over critical....lol. This has been my dd for about 10 yrs.

So, the first problem I had with this car about 3 mo ago was the fuel return lines started leaking in multiple places, then after that was resolved the sudden dying started. Prompting me down the fuel path.