Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stronger Pitch Rod EA82

I have a 93 Loyale and wondering if anyone else is bothered by the tiny pitch rod on it and if anyone has put in or made a stronger one? 

I really hate how the car shakes when I'm coming on and off the gas, its not terrible but it could be less.

You probably have other mounts that are worn out, like the engine or transmission mount. The pitch stopper by itself doesn't do a ton of work. The only time I bent one was by crushing an oil pan on a rock. The other thing that can cause a lurch when getting on or off the gas is backlash in the driveline. If your inner CV joints are worn out it can do that. I've had the aftermarket tripod joint CV's spit out the needle bearings between the rollers and the tripod inside the joint. It still drove fine, and didn't vibrate, but there was extra backlash. The radius rod bushings in the front suspension can do that also, but they usually make the car pull to one side or the other at the same time as the lurch.

To check for what's moving too much, set the parking brake on hard and chock block the wheels from both directions. Then try loading the engine in forward and reverse while you have an assistant watch to see which way the engine and transmission twist and by how much. Don't run them over!