Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size confusion with my 86 GL

Hey, my 86 GL has a 4" sjr lift and I plan to do a 6 lug hub swap and run some wheels with some decent offset, just wondering what tire size would be best, I'd like to go 235/75r15, but I dont want any tire rub at full turn, fenders are already trimmed too. Any suggestions? My car also has the adjustable front struts so I could gain another inch of lift in the front

The more offset on the wheels, the more you will have to beat in the front corner of the rocker panel and wheel well and trim the fender back to nothing at the corner of the door. I had to beat the floor in to the point the clutch pedal would hit it when pressed when I ran the 30" tires on aftermarket chevy wheels.

If you run wheels that keep the tire tucked in close to the spring seat of the strut, you have to beat the body back much less. However you will still rub on the "framerail" as it is at full lock with 235/75's if you have the suspension flexed out. Not enough to be a bother though, it will just polish the paint off in that spot.

I really liked my mitsubishi Mighty Max/ Dodge d50 4x4 minitruck wheels. They were tough and had the perfect offset.

What engine are you running? 235/75's also reduce the gearing compared to smaller tires, so you need more torque to turn them.

Edited by WoodsWagon