Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My New GL...

Hi all, I just got a sweet 83 GL wagon.  91k original miles, 5 speed. FWD...

Its in pretty great shape inside aside of the headliner, dashboard and drivers seat which has wear. The exterior paint is pretty good too. There is one small spot on the driver's rocker panel that needs attention, but every where is just small spots of surface rust. Underneath is clean and no rust.

It came loaded from the factory, has power windows, mirrors and doors and has factory AC. There was an aftermarket cruise which is currently disconnected.

The oil pump leaks but I haven't been underneath to look where else it may be leaking too.

I have been searching and have never done it before, but would like to lower the wagon some.  I don't want it completely slammed, but a good few inches in the rear and one or so more up front.

I know I can cut the springs in front, but what do I do in the rear?? Being a FWD, even though its a wagon, I don't think it has a torsion bar and there are no springs to cut, only the shock.  So what do I do?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not well versed in suspensions...

post-59952-0-84328000-1442598923_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sweet wagon you found there and probably one of the most reliable long term vehicles you can own as well as versatile.

Plenty of FWD models have been turned into four wheel drive variants and if doing such in the future make sure to use the later L series five speed out of a wagon as the RX turbo variants have only a 1.1 low range wheras the proper wagon is a 1.59 low range ratio.

It should still be being an MY, Torsion bar in the rear that is why you cannot see any springs only shocks.

As for the front springs the 4WD models do come stock with adjustable height struts a much better option to swap in.

The Oil pump is easy to reseal with new "O" rings, do that first and give it a good clean then see if there are any other leaks as a leaking oil pump will run back over other areas making a mess and you may well find that is the only major leak.

Finally welcome to the board enjoy the  experience all on here are very helpful.

Edited by coxy
  • Like 1