Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifter and rod source?

I have 3 motors worth of hydro lifters and rods, building an ea81, do i need to source new ones? Or what steps do i need to take to pick from these and install them, i read you have to put them back on the lobe they came from after theyve been used. Thanks. Hope this motor is done by Christmas

I'm not for sure where you can source the lifters but if you install new lifters you should install a new cam also, If you don't odds are you will destroy the cam is short order if you mix and match.

I have had several of the hydro motors and have had no problems with the hydro lifters, so what I would do is find the cleanest and best looking set with the least wear on the cam and install them as a set with the cam they are worn into and with the lifters in the correct positions.

• Like 1

I would say that if you want a reliable engine you only have a couple of options. One: new cam, new lifters and a proper breakin. Two: a complete used set with all the lifters in there original locations. You can substitute a reground cam for a new one but still would need new lifters and I don't know if lifters can be reground to put a new crown on the base.

Here is a good article that explains some of the reasoning involved. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/check-flat-tappet-lifter-crown-lobe-taper-lifter-bores/