Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2017 outback tow hitch vs after market

After watching the subaru video on their hitch for 2017 outback, I better understand the higher cost associated with the subaru unit.

Not knowing this I have already paid a local hitch company to install next week. Very reputal business.

But the Subie hitch and cost is substantial vs the after market unit which probably bolts up under the frame and not in the frame as the Subie unit does.

I won't be towing much nor often ie., camping gear.

Is this an issue?

Your thoughts.

Here's what I did.

I cancelled my purchase of the aftermarket hitch and went with the Subie factory hitch and had them install.  The cost was about $300 more. (I don't have time to do the install) .

Why?  Mainly is once you "Bolt on a hitch"  rather then use the factory kit that slides inside the frame you eliminate a safety factor of the vehicle as the now solid aftermarket kit prevents the rear end from crinkling/accordioning (?) as it's designed to do should the car be hit from the rear.

So why defeat a designed safety factor for a measly $300.  

I dropped it off, 3-4 hours later they call and it was an excellent looking install.  

Very nice addition to my 2017 Outback.

Edited by Indrid cold