Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale Auto Transmission ID

I'm working on a 1991 Loyale with the 3 speed Auto. Bought a rebuilt trans from a shop here, and it didnt fit...the guy told me the trans in my car was from an 88 or 89 car.

The rebuilt trans was in a one-piece case, and had some big, multicontact electrical connectors (presumabley for electronic control).

The trans that was in the car, was a bit smaller, has a bellhousing that bolts to the trans, and a speedometer cable that connects to the top (the rebuilt trans didnt have that) and just a a few electrical connectors (for sensors im thinking).

Also, the torque converter (rebuilt) for the rebuilt transmission was an SU-11 (Daaco part number) whereas the torque converter that was in the car is an SU-10.

Any thoughts on this? any of you familier with the different 3-speed auto transmissions? (this is my first time working on a Subaru!! :) )

Thanks in advance!!!

I second that. ANY Subaru 3-speed will at the very least bolt up to your bellhousing. Any 3-speed from an EA82 will work perfectly. I installed an 85 3-speed in my 92 Loyale and it matched up perfectly. Only thing different was the trans crossmember, though the crossmember mounts on the actual trans were the same, so I just re-used mine.

The 4-speed is totally electronic. Also, it is physically quite a bit larger than the 3-speed, there's enough size difference to where they had to widen the trans tunnel to make this trans fit in the EA82 body. FYI, the 4-speed became available in 1987.

Well...starting to get the idea...one other thing is the torque converter...the trans that was in the car had three nested shafts coming from the transmission, (the converter having three places for these splines). The rebuilt transmission had two shafts, and the transmission oil pump was driven by a drive "tube" that fit over the two shafts, and was driven by two tabs on the converter. He says he's got another trans, one from an "older style" that will work...is there anything i can look for on the transmission to ensure that it is the correct one, before i install it in the car?

You guys have been a BIG help so far...thanks