Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja's Back: Sprocket Swap & Timing Belt Considerations

It's a long story, but I've got my Baja back. Short of it: guy who bought her kept in touch online. I asked for first dibs if he put her up for sale. A few weekends ago, she blew a head gasket in Saugerties. She's now sitting in my front yard, paid for. Just gotta finalize the paperwork with the DMV and swap my ISHKBAJA plates over from the Tacoma.

My plan to rectify the head gasket situation is to pull the engine and throw it on a stand in the shed. That'll let me replace the head gasket and reseal the engine. It's been overheated, and I don't know how much I trust the lower end as a result. Doing the maintenance on it will be more of an educational adventure for me.

In the meanwhile, I've got an '07 OBS with an engine that I've put 3k miles on myself. Runs well, consumes a bit of oil, but no more than usual. I'd like to drop it into the Baja, which means putting together a low end management system for the AVLS. I'll need to move the cam and crank sprockets from the old '06 engine to the new '07 engine, too.

That leads me to a question... Since I'm moving the sprockets over, I should use the 304 timing belt to match the sprockets, correct? The timing belt on the '06 was replaced about 45k miles ago by myself; I'm half tempted to just replace it out of principle. They're not that expensive.

Edit: should also note that I'll be using the intake manifold off the '06, since the '07 is drive by wire, and who knows what other emissions/sensors complications. Gonna hook up a digital RPM window switch to the AVLS solenoids; hardest part ought to be getting a tach signal to the switch.

Assuming the '06 engine looks good otherwise, I'll pickle it and put it into storage as a back up should the '07 suffer an untimely death.

Update #2: Looks like reports differ as to the tooth pattern on the belt; some folk say they're interchangeable, others not. Regardless, if I'm swapping out the sprockets and idlers, then I shouldn't have a problem matching up the belt. Also looks like the water pumps are different (t'stat sits on the bottom in the Baja, on the side in the OBS). Gives me reason to buy a new water pump. Yay, spare parts!

Edited by the_bard
Update #2.