Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identifying my Engine

Hi All - I am planning on rebuiding the engine in my 86 Sube GL 4WD, but am having some trouble bein sure of the engine. After much searching I discovered a marking that was simply EA82 - Is that all that identifies the engine or should I be looking for more?

Any suggestions as to where to get a good kit for the rebuild would be nice as well.

there are differences between the turbo/mpfi/spfi/carbed motors but it all depends on what exactly you have. If you have a carbed motor, it'll be pretty obvious with the air cleaner on top of the motor. Then there is SPFI which is Single Port Fuel Injection. It will clearly be labeled on top of the air hose that runs from the airbox to the top of the throttle body. Next there is MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection) which has 4 seperate injectors, one in each cylinder. Lastly there is the turbo motor which is also MPFI but it has differences compared to the regular MPFI. The turbo is hard to miss because the plenim running into the throttle body has "Subaru 4wd Turbo" labeled on it. I hope this helps and hopefully you can figure it out:D

Oh and BTW, the EA82 is a 1.8 liter motor