Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL Subaru ECS light...

I recently purchased a 1985 GL non-turbo 5-speed that appears to be mechanically well maintained. It has 166K and I am the second owner. On my first real drive I made it about 15 minutes and the ECS light came on. The car continued to run fine so I immediately headed home and got online to figure out what to do. I found out how to read the computer code and came up with a "24" which apparently means something in the temperature sensor circuit. I'm new to Subaru's and am hoping that someone can tell me what exactly this means. My temp gauge works fine and the car doesn't run differently when the light comes on. It seems as though the light doesn't come on until about 15 minutes of driving. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, singletrack's post was enlightening :rolleyes:

You didn't mention whether your GL was carbureted, SPFI or MPFI. Not sure it matters, but...

The Coolant Thermo Sensor (CTS, though Chilton calls it ECT) is a separate sensor from the temp-gauge sender (which, BTW, is on the thermostat housing). The CTS is used to tell the Engine Control Unit (ECU) info on coolant temp so it can adjust the mixture. Its placement (probably) differs between different induction systems.

Seems to be a common problem that either the sensor fails or the connector makes poor contact.