Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hatch adjustment on RX?

uh, it's probably warped.. but obviously not FUBAR'ed. Trace your finger around the rubber gasket crap to look for irregularities you could get to with a vice (or vice grips and some little pieces of thick sheet metal) anything inside would allow the outside body to look flush when shut but prevent it from getting to actually latch.

Look at the actual latch pieces if you haven't already, anything narked off? stick your finger in there and see if it bleeds? chances are some one slammed it too hard w/ something in there once and you'll end up ripping the back panel off and seeing if you could get a salvage replacement or something. Just as long as the key-lock part still works, shouldn't be such a deal if this is the problem. Having a different key for different doors sucks.. cough...BRAT.. cough

well I took the back panel off and have looked it over and I even stuck a screwdriver into it and it closed and I pulled on the bar that goes to the lock on the back and it released the mechanism inside and didn't see anything broken or nothing so I just thought that it might be a little too low or something...

... Just as long as the key-lock part still works, shouldn't be such a deal if this is the problem. Having a different key for different doors sucks.. cough...BRAT.. cough
You ought to have a locksmith look at that cough! A $25 office visit might be able to clear it up.

RE: the Hatch... no experience with latch mechanism for a Hatch, but most mechanisms like that have adjustments on the striker and on the latch catch. And "loose" is usually worse than misadjusted, so might check that, too.

well I've looked at it for about 5 minutes and nothing seems to be loose, in fact it all seems to be where it originally was! I've dealt with the rear hatch latches on 82-92 Camaro's and I know when people slam them too hard, it tends to break the little plastic gear inside of them (stupid GM retarded engineers!) so then they won't latch right but unfortunatly, it seems like mine is still ok..... maybe I'll pull the thing out and see what is to this...