Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Fluid and Grease for 87 3AT 4WD ?

My old 3AT 4WD tran went out on me and I picked up a used replacement. I bought Valvoline Extended life Dexron III / Mercon and Pennzoil GL-5 gear oil. Searching through the threads I've seen different ones swearing by some other fluids and mixes but is there anything wrong with using these for my Subaru? The old trans was full of little chips of (clutch facing?) and lots of metal fur on the magnet. The used one is super clean inside with absolutely nothing in the pan. Because I was worried about contaminating the new one I used low pressure air to blow out the oil cooler and got nothing at all but fluid and it was clean. Are the cooler lines so separated from the the pan that the chips could never make it into the cooler anyway or is it possible I'm just not getting it cleaned out?

Thanks for any advice.

Ray

if anything left it may have settled in the bottom of the cooler? anyway, i wouldnt worry about it the magnetic plug will take care of the rest. i dont think these particles would be in the lines since they are heavier and will settle into the pan, and not circulate thru the lines.

your fluids will be fine obviously you know about the 2 fill tubes