Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy "torque lock" issues ADVISE

I Recently Purchased A 96 Legacy 2.2automatic With 80 K Miles .

It Obviously Was Not Well Cared For But appears To Have Some Potential.

Dealer Advises I Have A Torgue Lock Transmission Problem Starting At A Repair Cost Of $1300 . I Also Have A High Pitched Whine From A Gear Case Or Trany which i eepect will cost more money. Ill Be Letting The Dealer Evaluate All This Next Week . I Expect That The Torque Lock Problem Will Result In A Complete Rebuild And More Money. Should I Consider Looking For A Replacement Transmission ? And How Much Should I Expect To Pay For The Transmission And Again For Installation. Iam Located In Cincinnati Ohio And Iam Not Aware Of Any Private Or Independant Subaru Repair Facilities . Any And All Comments Would Be Appreciated . Thank You

Ron.

a lot of folks have had this and have some creative soloutions. The tires must be very close in circumfrence. Put a fuse in the front drive slot and see if it stops to be sure it's torque bind.

As for whineing a fluid change stopped it on mine.

This is a common and easy problem to fix. Call your local dealer they will have all the parts in stock. First check the transmission ecu for codes if it has any codes stored follow that route first. For example if it has a code for the transfer clutch solenoid then be sure to replace the transfer clutch solenoid. Now for the common problem. Subaru sells an updated transmission extension housing for the automatic transmission. You will need to intall this housing and replace the awd clutch pacs. This can be done with the transmission in the car. You simply remove the rear driveshaft and then remove the transmission extension housing. If you need to have a shop do this for you the charge should be 3-4 hours of labor plus parts. The average repair is about $800-1100.

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this web site and hope I am posting in a place where someone will see my question. I have a '97 Legacy. When in reverse and making a tight turn in gravel the rear wheels starting "spinning" just a bit in the gravel. AT first I thought I was imagining it, but later I noticed when going forward and the wheel was turned tight that it sort of jerked. We tooked it in and they said it was torque bind and would probably be $1100. Well, they ended up keeping it over the weekend cause they couldn't find some small part and the next week they told me that when they test drove it it now had a noise. Here is what they put on my bill: "Test drove and diagnosed torque bind condition. No noise heard. Replaced clutch pack set. Re-installed. Noise heard. Removed again and installed bearings. Slight noise heard. Removed 3rd time and installed shaft and bearings. Re-installed and drove (very slight noise heard) No torque bind." Well the "slight" noise sounds like you are passing a motorcycle when you take your foot off the gas. Now I read these forums and it sounds like they should have started by checking my tire pressure. They told me it was gonna be $1100 from the outset and when I told them the WWW said it should cost about $750 they said sometimes you don't have to replace so many parts. So how did they know going in that they would have to replace so many parts? Help!