Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 efi wagon Qs help

ok I just got an 88 efi wagon with ea82 it had a broken timeing belt(drivers side) I replaced both belts lined up every thing put it all back together and now theres a diffrent problem when I turn on the key the fuel pump goes and stopes about 2 second interval. But heres the kicker it doesent stop just keeps punpming in same interval even when Im not turning the car over. I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank and it spits fuel out of the line @ the TBI. and you can hear the fuel squirting into the intake could this be the regulator or a relay

Has any one had a similar problem? Any insight would bee AWSOME thanks LT

It sounds like the green test mode connecters under the hood are connected. If they're connected, you should also hear a relay clicking with the fuel pump.

It's under the hood, right by the fuel filter/wiper motor. In the same place are some white connectors also. These should also be disconnected.

These are used to pull trouble codes from the ECU.

Have you checked to make sure the diagnostic connectors (green) are unplugged. They are either located near the windsheild whiper motor in the engine compartment or under the dash near the computer.

On my 86 turbo if the diagnosis connectors are connected and the key is turned to ON the fuel pump will pump in an on off fashion to show that it is working.

Not totally sure if it is the same on SPFI for 88. But maybe worth a try.

Right On that fixed the problem. Im not used to these efi types guess i need to get with the times huh well thanks for you help fellow suby addicts Bad news she still wont start so I geuss I start looking for other problems Timeing or the unthinkable? Mucho thanksLT

Right On that fixed the problem. Im not used to these efi types guess i need to get with the times huh well thanks for you help fellow suby addicts Bad news she still wont start so I geuss I start looking for other problems Timeing or the unthinkable? Mucho thanksLT

Dumb Question #2: Did you use the Haynes manual instructions to time the t-belt? It has been reported that the Haynes instructions neglect to tell you to turn the engine over one revolution before aligning the dots on the passenger side. This would leave the passenger side totally mistimed.

check out this page.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

Most likely you didn't turn the engine over once after you put the driver side belt on.

When I did my belts a couple years ago, I would've done the same thing, except a friend found a document that spelled it out explicitly.

My haynes manual has the step in it, but I somehow overlooked it the first time.

good luck

Hmmm well I know what I am doind today DEJAVOO I have to turn what? WHERE and pull all that ##$*^ $%^& off again well it should be easery the second timeoh no mention of this in my haynes manual but I believe ya well thanks again to all And I m off to it LT

ARRG Thanks for info thats what I did .I read the page you suggested it was pretty clear what i need to do .You were right no mention of this in my hanes maunal I seem to be have alot of DEJAVOO lately Well it should come off easer the second time HAHAHA Thanks again all LT