Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheels on Forester

Decker_Forester

I am trying to think of ways to get larger tires not huge but larger, without a body lift i just got my 2 in. susp. lift as some of you know, so there should be some clearance, SO here is the question, CAN I buy some 15 steel wheels with a HUGE backspacing on them so that the tire doesent sit under the strut????????? is this possible, and also as a side note what is the backspacing on these wheels and what would i need??

I have so many questions, its a wonder why im always on here. :banana: ha and ahh....what could the banana possibly be good for??

Ben

backspacing is the distance from the mounting flange to the back of the wheel, so large backspace would pull the wheel in further, and a small amount of backspace would push it out. You actually want to tuck it in as close to the strut as possible, because it will rub on the fenders when you turn if the tire sticks too far out.

Sounds like you used the Scorpion springs for your lift. I realized that would be a problem with that lift. This is Exactly the reason I didn't use that lift. I was thinking the same thing as you about getting the tires away from the struts. I've learned this is a bad idea. It will be hard on your wheel bearings and the tire will probably hit the fenders during up travel. Mudrats 2" lift gave me an extra couple of inches to fit larger tires under the struts. I'm running 215/75 15's mud terrains which I think equates to 27". I couldn't run these tires before the Mudrat lift or they would rub on the struts. I think they would also still rub on the Scorpion lift as well. Also I think 27" is the largest tire you can run with the 2 inch lift because when I turn my front wheels they come really close to rubbing on the fender well.

Sounds like you used the Scorpion springs for your lift. I realized that would be a problem with that lift. This is Exactly the reason I didn't use that lift. I was thinking the same thing as you about getting the tires away from the struts. I've learned this is a bad idea. It will be hard on your wheel bearings and the tire will probably hit the fenders during up travel. Mudrats 2" lift gave me an extra couple of inches to fit larger tires under the struts. I'm running 215/75 15's mud terrains which I think equates to 27". I couldn't run these tires before the Mudrat lift or they would rub on the struts. I think they would also still rub on the Scorpion lift as well. Also I think 27" is the largest tire you can run with the 2 inch lift because when I turn my front wheels they come really close to rubbing on the fender well.

that's a 2" suspension lift? that mudrat makes??

if so maybe i'll do a suspension lift instead of body lift.

right now i'm running 185/70/14(to small for me)