Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1999 Forrester has a ripped drive pole {shaft} boot on the inside of the passenger side. How hard is it to replace. Can I by an aftermarket boot that doesn't require removing the drive pole. This is not the cv boot behinde the wheel but the one coming out of the transmission.

Thanks

With some patience and several inexpensive tools and parts, the inside boot can be replaced without removing the axle from the hub (but only from the differential). The right inner boot is over the catalytic converter, so the other ones should last longer, especially if there isn't lots of miles on the Forester. How many does it have?

Impeccable timing -- I just completed this job on my '99 Forester this weekend.

There are split boots available that can be installed without dissassembling the suspension and axle; I have no experience with them, but I would be surprised if they last very long -- much better to take time to put OEM quality on. Its not too bad if you have some experience. You need to disconnect the lower control arm from the strut -- one bolt (but mine was rusted pretty badly -- heat and penetrating oil would have helped; push the stub axle out of the hub; probably need a hub puller for that -- mine was pretty rusty -- again, heat and solvent would have helped. Swing the strut and hub aside, knock out a pin that holds the inner joint on the transaxle output shaft and its off. Dissassemble and remove the inner joint and both inner and outer boots can be replaced. The boots I got from Car Quest had very good instructions with them. Again, you probably need some experience to tackle this, but nothing a good shade-tree mechanic can't do. -- George