Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help!

Guest shadowlock9

Guest shadowlock9

hello its been awhile i know but i really need some help here

i have a 1987 subaru that just died one nite when my roomates were driveing it out , it acts like it has no gas when i try and start it we have checked the fuel filter,the fuel pump , and the "fuel injection" (we arnt even sure thats what it is any more) i feel like im beating my head aginst a brick wall any help would be apreciated

Remove distrubutor cap, crank engine. If the rotor doesn't move, you have broken the drivers side timing belt. There are peep holes in the froont of the timing covers you can look through.. but it could be stripped which won't show up so well.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

You will have to be sure the drivers side is installed correctly so that piston #1 fires roughly at top dead centre. I believe it would be possible to install so it fires between valve openings... which will make it shoot flames out the carb. Just take the #1 plug and make sure the rotor is in the right position to fire at tdc

Guest shadowlock9

ok we just got the self-diagnostic to work it it blinks once then three more times im assuming that that is 13 going by the codes that i have looked up

on http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-35.htm

according to that its a (Crank Angle Sensor (No Position Pulse).) what does this mean any one know?

now theres also a green set of wires that when pluged in the diagnostic blinks 7 times in a row ,acompanedy by a sound of some small moter running any ideas what that might be?

you will get the crank angle sensor code if the engine is not running, also the starter switch in some cases

double check the timing belt alignment. sorry the pics are down in the article as the server is down for maintenance. i can provise pictures over the email if you want to see them milesfox@yahoo.com

the 7 flashes would be a model designation code. the motor you hear running is the fuel pump. the green clips are to cycle the fuel pump and to set the static timing at the distributor(simulates plugging the vacuum advance for a mechanical disty)

the black or white clips are for retrieving the engine codes themselves

ok, so the green connections that trigger the pump is suppose to not stay connected right?...are you thinking its the timing belts? (this is shadows roommate) ..it was crazy....it was running, sitting outside a store......then went to leave and it died.....and wouldnt start again....

its started a couple of times since this ...kinda...it would start to kick...like it was trying, but wasnt getting fuel....

crazyness

namaste,

captmueller

you will get the crank angle sensor code if the engine is not running, also the starter switch in some cases

double check the timing belt alignment. sorry the pics are down in the article as the server is down for maintenance. i can provise pictures over the email if you want to see them milesfox@yahoo.com

the 7 flashes would be a model designation code. the motor you hear running is the fuel pump. the green clips are to cycle the fuel pump and to set the static timing at the distributor(simulates plugging the vacuum advance for a mechanical disty)

the black or white clips are for retrieving the engine codes themselves

Guest shadowlock9

hey i just got done looking at the pics for your article miles, and well thats like way beyond my abilites as of yet lol, i would love to have that much skill but sad to say i dont :-\

sorry about the pics being down in the article, as the server is down for maintenance. email me for the pics.

milesfox@yahoo.com

hey i just got done looking at the pics for your article miles, and well thats like way beyond my abilites as of yet lol, i would love to have that much skill but sad to say i dont :-\

well, lets suppose that someone before you had taken off all the plastic crap, it would only requere a 7/8" offset wrench and a 12mm socket to do the timing belts! easy stuff once you get your hands dirty. i always say that if you ever wanted to learn how to work on a car, a subaru is a good car to learn on. you are on this message board, right!?:drunk::brow::)

Guest shadowlock9
well, lets suppose that someone before you had taken off all the plastic crap, it would only requere a 7/8" offset wrench and a 12mm socket to do the timing belts! easy stuff once you get your hands dirty. i always say that if you ever wanted to learn how to work on a car, a subaru is a good car to learn on. you are on this message board, right!?:drunk::brow::)

you rasie a good point but one prob at my best im good with biceles lol i dont know jack about cars:lol::slobber:

hes right....he dont know jack about cars....

but...either do i....which is why we are struggling lol

please subaru god smile upon us!

namaste,

captmueller

you rasie a good point but one prob at my best im good with biceles lol i dont know jack about cars:lol::slobber:

Guest shadowlock9

umm one thing we cant drive are though lol :lol::banghead:

just think of a subar as a bicycle with 4 wheels to get you started. belts instead of chains. if a bike breaks down you can still push it home. if a subar breaks doen you can still drive it home