Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ticked off... Short story..

Well I've done it all and now I'm frustrated like none-other..

Ive had cooling issues with one of my subarus for a while now.. found out the thermostat was stuck closed and the radiator was plugged..

no biggy.. replaced with a new 180 degree tstat and turbo radiator..

Still overheating.... So I replace the water pump... Now... Not really overheating anymore.. but now I have a leak coming from the water pump area..

Ive resealed this pump 3 times now with 3 different types of RTV including one I used to use at this shop I worked at that I could have sworn would have worked.. I was very disappointed when I still had a leak coming from the water pump area.. Needless to say..

Is there anything in that immediate area that im missing? Freeze plug? Head gasket? When I pulled the center timing cover apart, was there a seal that I damaged? I'm confused, and losing coolant fast.. Need answer, plz help, thx.

TSPFI.

Goto Subaru and get a waterpump gasket. About $3, get some loctite aviation gasket seal and some gasket cleaner from an auto store. Clean it all up and reinstall with the Subaru gasket, coating the pump and block with the loctite to help.

I had trouble with my waterpump leaking, the gasket had folded over on itself during installation. Not your problem obviously, but something to be carful of as seeing the bottom of the pump is difficult with the belts in the way.

The only places i can think that could be leaking are, O-ring on the pump inlet pipe, did you replace this? - You must. Theres two bolts on each side of the head for draining the cooling system, the HG's, the waterpump, the thermostat housing and the heater unit. This is everywhere coolant could be leaking from in my book. Double check the waterpump and maybe even do a reinstall... i know how much its going to piss you off, i had to do it after completing the job when i saw the puddle of coolant under my car after i refilled the radiator, but you gotta do what you gotta do.