Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 swap

Guest kecksnext

Guest kecksnext

Ok here goes....All I wanna do is replace the ea81 that's in the brat with another ea81 from another brat. Same motor just want to know the best and easiest way to go about it. Are there any tips I should know to make things go a little easier? This will be my first engine replacement and I can't think of a better swap for a first than the ea81. Any help is always greatly appreciated and if anyone near Philly wants to give a hand I have an 82 and 85 Brat with some pretty useable parts for the effort. I would also supply the goodies of course as well...nudge nudge wink wink nowadda I mean. Thanks for any help.

Guest clantieri

Wish I was closer...I'm in CT, though. Just take your time and label things as you disconnect them, especially vacuum lines. All that, then 2 motor mount bolts and 4 that attach engine to trans. Consider changing gaskets / resealing new motor. Its so easy while the motor is out and is pretty inexpensive. Also, new clutch and pressure plate may be in order and are easy to DIY with the motor out. Don't skimp out now, It'll be a beeyotch later to pull the motor for something stupid that you could have done to begin with. If you have questions, feel free to e-mail chris6474ATcox.net (replace obvious word with symbol).

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Chris

Guest Dennis

where are you located again? i think i remember king of prussia or something like that...

i havent worked on an ea81 in about a year but ill lend a hand on a weekend for sure, might be a little foggy on some areas but would be willing to help if needed

and not to hi-jack your post but are you ever going to come off roading with us? we usually do a semi-annual thing in south jersey - theres a post about it in the "meet and greet" forum

Guest hocrest

I don't have much knowledge to offer:( but, I'm willing to come down to help/learn.

I see your in VF that only about an hour. Let me know when I'll see if I can make it.

And I second what Dennis said about the PB meet:)

Guest McBrat

the vacuum stuff will be different between the 2, so the easiest thing would be to keep the entire intake manifold carb with the brat, and only swap out the long block.

I saw a guy just onbolt the intake stuff (leaving the vacuum and fuel lines intact where possible), and bungee the intake up to the hood sort of, then pull the long block out, and drop a new one it.... made for a fast swap....

Guest GeneralDisorder

If you want to avoid the vacuum mess, you could get a weber for it. Simple swap, and better low-end. Just a sugestion.

GD

Guest OH Noah

I agree with Mick, you should use the carb/intake that came with the car, unless you think something is wrong with it.

Here's the job as I recall:

-remove the battery (not totally necessary, but gives you a little more room)

-disconnect and label the following (easiest to do as you do everything else)

-----vacuum lines, fuel lines, and wires from engine to body, throttle cable, hill-holder cable

-drain and remove radiator

-disconnect engine from mounts:

-----There are two lower mounts, and the upper pitching stopper. I like to totally remove the pitching stopper so it's out of the way. Some people remove the two nuts that hold the lower mounts to the crossmember, so the mounts come out with the engine. I prefer to remove the four bolts that hold the mounts to the engine, so that the mounts stay in the crossmember. This allows the engine to slide forward off the tranny without raising it much first.

-remove the four nuts/bolts holding the engine to the tranny... remove the starter if you want, but it's not absolutely necessary.

-connect a hoist to the engine (a chain and an eight foot 4x4 works if you've got two people) and support front of the tranny with a jack or jack stand.

-lift the engine slightly and pull it forward about six inches until the tranny is clear of the clutch, and the engine studs are clear of the tranny

-up, up, and away... it's out. Just be sure you don't have any load bearing wires still connected.

-installation really is largely the reverse of removal.

Did I forget anything??

Guest kecksnext

Thanks so much for all the responses. Dennis and Hocrest, if you wanna swing by I was thinking like 8\2 if that's something you want to do. He11 3 peole jumpin on this and we'll have time left over for some cocktails and bu11$hiz. I have 34 acres with all kinds of trails if anyone has a quad or trike. Or a brave Soob owner. Thanks again to everyone who responded....I'm sure with all the help and guidance from this sweet sweet board everything will be good. You guys RULE!!

Guest bbbs53

Hi, does the guy that draws that logo know you are using it? He is pretty proud of his work and may take exception to it. I would at least email him in Oregon and ask him, Bradd