Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Silly, stupid, and a true testament to how kickass a soob is

Guest SubaruTex

Guest SubaruTex

I arrived home last night at approximately 10pm. I hopped out of the RX with my Wendy's food, and walked in side. The car was still running, as it usually does because of the turbo timer. I got into the house before hearing it shut off. I went about my nightly routine, then went to bed about midnight.

At 6:50am Mom knocks at my bedroom door, and asks, "Why is your car still running?" I was like, "huh?" Instantly I thought the turbo timer had crapped out, and the wiring was messed up. So, I go to grab my keys. But they aren't in there spot. I stagger out to the car, and look through the window. Sure enough, keys are there in the ignition still...with the car still chugging along at idle. I come back in, grab one of my super hidden spare keys (took me about 10 minutes just to find it!) went back out, and turned it off.

As it appears, the gas gauge is more or less in the same spot as I left it, but the fuel light was on. The temp gauge was right at operating tempurature. The radio was still tuned to 99.9 happily playing.

My car sat from 10pm till 7am idling. Thats 9 hours. And the only thing that seems to maybe have happened is I lost some gas. I don't think the brown wagon could have done so well...and I won't even get started on the 70's chevy truck I got.

So there is my stupid thing for the day, week, month, year... Lets here about some of the kinda stupid stuff you have done.

Guest Ratty2Subaru

:lol:

your neighbors must have wondered :lol:

wouldn't be a bad idea if it was the dead of winter- keep the car warm lol!

good thing nothing bad happened!

Guest syphon

So did you forget to turn the car off, or was it an issue with the timer?

You said you left the keys in it, but didn't say if you left it "on" or just turned it off and didn't take out the keys :-P

Guest ShawnW

Diesel Semi truck drivers tend to leave their vehicles on all the time in the winter, too hard to start them in the morning.

I highly doubt you hurt anything in fact you now know your cooling system can be trusted! :cool:

Tell me about this turbo timer you got if you dont mind....ill be looking for one for my wagon sometime soon. (When the engine arrives of course).

Guest hodakarider

My stupid thing? Last night I forgot to lock the rear hatch on my wagon. When I went to get in the car this morning, both drivers side doors were open, the glove box was open, and the ash tray was pulled out. Funny thing is, nothing was missing from the car. My inverter was still there, my $30 sunglasses, my $100 multi-tool, my camping gear that I always keep in the back, all my tools- still there! I think they were looking for stereo equipment or something - which I don't have in the car right now.

The weirdest part is that for over two years I couldn't even lock the hatch. (I just put a new lock in it in March, before the LaPine run.) And it was never broken into all that time!

Guest Stupidru

Did similar thing back in early 90's in my 84 4wd Sedan, except I was still in car passed out from previous evening's events. |I Was awoken buy neighbor who thought I gased myself, until I rolled down the window & he got a wiff of stale alcohol. :x DON'T ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME! :rolleyes:

Guest Adam N.D.J.

I've slept in the cab of the Brat on campouts where it was really cold with the engine running and the heater on. The cool thing was that with the one barrel I could drive 40 miles out to the campsite, let it idle all night long, go wheeling the next day, let it idle again that night, wheel some more and then go home with over half a tank. The bad thing though was that most of my trail buddies drive huge domestic trucks with V8's and 4bbl carbs, so they usually had to run back to town for gas after the first days wheelin. I have yet to see what kinda fuel consumption I'm gonna have with the 6 though. Someone want to leave their XT-6 running all night and tell me how much gas it uses? No? Didn't think so. Catch ya Laters.

Guest Dennis

dude i had an xt6, it would burn off a quarter tank of gas warming up in the winter time...

this one place i worked for had a shop that the techs left a camaro running in all night while it was still on the lift, they came in the next day to find that it threw a rod...

Guest uhohru

couple new years ago i ended up drinking too much and sat infront of my steering wheel idling infront of my buddies house for right about 9 hours too!!!!