Ultimate Subaru Message Board

canging my ATF this weekend - need advice

i have been having the torque bind problen and read on the boards that this may help.

i am planning on doing the drain and refill method 3 times, but have some simple questions:

1) is it better to drain and refill, or powerflush transmission fluid?

ive heard good and bad about both.

2) with this "torque binding" problem, have i been killing my transmission? in other

words, what are the side-effects from torque binding, besides the

slight shudder on sharp turns?

3) what brand/weight etc.. of ATF fluid should i get, and are there

any addidtives i should add to help? would you rcommend using synthetic ATF? would i be able to do the 2

drains with cheap stuff, and the last fill with synthetic? i have read

that people on the board recommend either castrol synthetic ATF, and

mobil 1 synthetic ATF. the car has 102,000 mile on it.

4) ATF capacity. how much ATF does a 95 impreza 1.8 4Eat hold? when i do the drain and refill , i realize that all fluid doesnt drainout , how much is left in, and how much do i need to fill after the drain so i dont overfill?

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! jason

hundog@gmail.com

Is the power light flashing on start up. If so then its a sensor issue or worse. Torque binding is bad so yes you have been killing it. I would not powerflush it but rather drain and fill (I like Mobil 1 sythetic but that is probably overkill for your ride) then drive a day or 2 and drain and fill. Smell the fluid in there now though. If it smells like burnt toast you'll want to do the drain and fill at least 3 times.

You'll get a different amount each time so just get some gallon jugs and fill 'em up to see how much to put in. Usually about 10-12 will cover 2 drains. If it is really nasty you may also want to drop the pan and replace the gasket and filter of course and also clean the bottom of the pan and magnet. If you do have the power light flashing there is a self diagnosis proceedure to find out what is the cause.

i have been having the torque bind problen and read on the boards that this may help.

i am planning on doing the drain and refill method 3 times, but have some simple questions:

1) is it better to drain and refill, or powerflush transmission fluid?

ive heard good and bad about both.

2) with this "torque binding" problem, have i been killing my transmission? in other

words, what are the side-effects from torque binding, besides the

slight shudder on sharp turns?

3) what brand/weight etc.. of ATF fluid should i get, and are there

any addidtives i should add to help? would you rcommend using synthetic ATF? would i be able to do the 2

drains with cheap stuff, and the last fill with synthetic? i have read

that people on the board recommend either castrol synthetic ATF, and

mobil 1 synthetic ATF. the car has 102,000 mile on it.

4) ATF capacity. how much ATF does a 95 impreza 1.8 4Eat hold? when i do the drain and refill , i realize that all fluid doesnt drainout , how much is left in, and how much do i need to fill after the drain so i dont overfill?

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! jason

hundog@gmail.com