Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hillholder adjustment?

I'm finally replacing the clutch in my Loyale (as mentioned in this thread).

The new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing are all in place and the transaxle is back in place and secured to the engine and crossmember. I just need to reconnect everything else.

When I was taking it apart, I noticed a cable that connects to the fork just below the clutch cable, except that it wasn't actually connected. The two nuts that go on it were just sitting on top of the transaxle. I assume this cable is for the hillholder. The funny thing is that the hillholder used to work, but It's been a while since I drove it regularly because of the slipping clutch, so I'm not sure if it was still working or not.

At any rate...

Since it was disconnected, I don't know how it was set before. Does anyone have any tips on adjusting it when I put it back together?

pretty much set it somewhere, then test it :drunk:

A couple weeks ago I had to adjust the hillholder on a friends car. IIRC righty-tighty = higher clutch release point, lefty-loosey = lower clutch release point.

Just make sure that you press the brake hard while you have the clutch in, otherwise it may not 'hold' properly. Then just slowly let the clutch out paying attention to where it releases. Adjust as necessary

I think I can do that. ;)

I just remembered another question though... I want to be sure I put everything together facing the right way. I'm pretty certain I can figure it out, but I just want to be sure since I didn't get to see them in place. The two nuts that were sitting on top of the transaxle were a regular nut and one that has a large head and a narrower threaded shaft. I assume I put the cable through the rotating piece on the fork, then thread on the nut with the big head so that the narrow side is facing the fork, and put the normal nut on to lock it in place. Is that right?