Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor Testing?

Okay I've recently put my cleaned EA82 back in my car. New timing belts, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and freshly sealed cam towers. Valve timing and ignition timing are on spot, and compression testing showed the engine to be in good condition But the car refuses to start. I highly suspect the DCZ-328 carburetor of mine is the problem because it was the first object I rebuilt, and I may have screwed it up.

When I turn the key, the engine tries to catch but the carburetor will ignite gas above the air intake opening with a big blue flame, and when i turn the key off it will sputter little drops of gasoline upwards out of the carburetor. Sound familiar?

What I'd like to know is if there are any tests I can do on the carburetor to see that it is functioning correct, and eliminate it as a possible problem? Replies are greatly appreciated!

I've conducted some basic tests on the carburetor. The automatic choke heater is working properly, the choke is adjusted correctly, and the plunger for the anti-dieseling solenoid is receiving voltage and makes an audible click when given power.

BUT I do not know how to properly adjust the fast idle while the carburetor is on the vehicle, and I'm not sure if its at the right setting. That's minor though. Getting the car to idle at ANY speed is very hard at this point. But there's something that's really bothering me.

When I turn the key on and off and try to get the engine to start, the carburetor violently kicks back vaporized somethingorother. There's a plume of concentrated fuel vapor or exhaust that squirts out the top of the carburetor and its driving me crazy! What could be causing air pressure to run in the wrong direction? The only reasonable answer is that the exhaust strokes of the pistons are pushing air up through the intake, yes? I don't know. Air pressure in the intake comes only from piston movement, i think, so this should be true.

Perhaps the duty solenoids are fouling things up...those bastards are clicking furiously whenever i turn on the key. I don't know what this indicates. Duty solenoids supply extra air to the fuel/air mixture depending on the signals from the computer, yes? Then the computer must be reading something that says there's too much fuel going into the carb, which would make sense considering how much I've seen being pushed OUT of the top of carburetor in tinly droplets and plumes of vapor.

Bah I'm just hypothesizing. This problem is starting to crack me...

Breakthrough! I got the engine to start running, but it continues to die unless I have my foot on the gas. It seems almost certain to be a carburetor problem at this point....but I don't want to have to replace the bastard unless necessary.

And this little bit: When I try to rev the car up high while its running, the carburetor itself will make a sound like its backfiring, a CHK! sound followed by a short explusion of smoke. It also starts to do this when it goes down to low idle, right before it dies.

I'm at my last ends at this point. Adjusting the fast idle every which way makes no difference...I either have to take it to a shop or try my luck with replacing the carburetor.

Any votes based on what I've said so far? The Shop or New Carburetor? I'll let those more experienced than myself decide...