Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgrade to EA2 disaster

Need ideas and feedback from seasoned veterans of subbies, and my experience with them is shallow although I have been a full time mechanic at one time. Had great luck with an 88 wagon and then got into a low priced 1990 with nothing but trouble. It is an automatic to boot and I have heard of the problems with that specific year and headgasket leak also although I took out the thermostat as I heard from others on this site and low and behold it did not overheat and would drive fine if you did not get into a traffic jam or sit. At this point I am thinking of things like rebuilding the spare motor for the old wagon and trying to get the gears matched right as it has a 23 spline tranny which is for a carb model and this one has throttle body fuel injection. This took me a while to figure out buying the wrong driveshafts and having a mismatched rear drive. This is probably old news for most of you guys that run the older sfuff but please tell me if I am on the right track to match the gearcases, any tips. My goal is continue regressing and move toward a brat which I am guessing has the similar drive train to the wagon. Appreciate any help here and hope to grow in my knowledge of the older generation of subarus.