Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's SUBARU WEATHER! :D (tires, remote start ?s)

Cold, snowing/sleeting, icy, and I'm having a blast. :D

This is my first full winter with my '87 GL (5 speed, D/R 4WD). I'm really looking forward to it.

While it's probably a bit late now for it, I've been looking at getting a set of ice tires. I drive pretty much entirely city/highway, and while the roads get cleared, they often glaze over. So I'm thinking a set of Blizzak ice compound tires would be a good set. Any other suggestions?

Also, how difficult is it to install a remote starter? As near as I can tell, the EA82s don't have a clutch safety switch, or a neutral switch. At least, both of my Subarus have let me start it in gear without problems. I always park it in neutral with the parking brake firmly applied, so I'm not too concerned about it wandering off when I try to start it. However, for a shop to install the needed sensors & such, it's going to be $300-$400 (clutch sensor, neutral sensor, hood position switch, etc). I can get a simple unit for $99. Is installation a pretty straightforward task?

Thanks!

-=Russ=-

As far as tires go, I have heard a lot of good about Blizzaks on this board. I was thinking of trying a set this winter on my RX, There are others that would be more qualified to answer this, as well as a good search, there are quite a few good threads in both new and old gen forums.

As for remote starters, JBS tech/Bulldog security sell models for manual tranny cars, they tie in to the parking brake switch for extra safety while starting. Summit carries this brand. As for install they are not too bad at all, I have done my fair share of keyless entry/alarms/remote starts without major difficulty. Bulldog's website has been accurate when I have used them for wiring diagrams/wire colors BUT I have not used them on a Subaru yet. If you have power locks and want to use keyless entry from one of the higher end models, you need to buy the solenoid which they also sell to install in the drivers door.

As far as snow tires, I prefer the Nokian Haakapalita over the blizzak. The Nokians are a normal rubber compound unlike the Blizzak, so the Noki's wear better and last longer. Noki's also seem to get much better traction on ice, even though Blizzak has the micro cellular foam, I didn't find any advantages. Actually the Blizzak seemed to have less braking traction then the Noki as well. Noki's are made in Finland where they get a sh*t load of snow, kinda like where I live. In fact we had our first 12 inches of the fun stuff lastnight...Happy happy Joy joy.

As far as the starter, I'm using the compustar 5100 or something like that. I didn't have the guy hook all the extra crap up like hood, and power locks etc. We just went the direct route so she will fire up and get warm. My 87 GL10 is my second car/ winter beater so all the fancy stuff wasn't needed. But it would impress the ladies if all that sh*t was wired. You can find wiring diagrams on the internet supporting the install for most cars, that's all my buddy does and he owns the shop! If it's something he's unfamiliar with he just searches the net for it. Good Luck and have fun in the snow...I will be!!!

Cold, snowing/sleeting, icy, and I'm having a blast. :D

This is my first full winter with my '87 GL (5 speed, D/R 4WD). I'm really looking forward to it.

While it's probably a bit late now for it, I've been looking at getting a set of ice tires. I drive pretty much entirely city/highway, and while the roads get cleared, they often glaze over. So I'm thinking a set of Blizzak ice compound tires would be a good set. Any other suggestions?

Also, how difficult is it to install a remote starter? As near as I can tell, the EA82s don't have a clutch safety switch, or a neutral switch. At least, both of my Subarus have let me start it in gear without problems. I always park it in neutral with the parking brake firmly applied, so I'm not too concerned about it wandering off when I try to start it. However, for a shop to install the needed sensors & such, it's going to be $300-$400 (clutch sensor, neutral sensor, hood position switch, etc). I can get a simple unit for $99. Is installation a pretty straightforward task?

Thanks!

-=Russ=-