Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT filter on 2003 FOrrester

I have a 203 Forrester with 65K mi. Had a major service at dealer at 30K ($500!). They didn't change auto trans fluid filter, which looks like a small oil filter and is mounted next to AT drain pan. Does this ever need to be changed?

Also, I need to change front and rear diff gear oil. Should I use synthetic or petroleum based oil?

Thanks to Sean in N. VA for his response to my previous question.

With the exception of severe use/towing, Subaru considers the tranny-filter to be a non-serviceable item ...which I put it in the same category as non-greasable steering/suspension & "maintenence-free" batteries. :rolleyes:

It definitely won't hurt to change it once at 60k miles. It's a bear to remove tho. :banghead:

Synth gear-lube is not a requirement.

Redline Shockproof Lightweight in the front and Shockproof Superlight in the rear will help your fuel ecomony, especially in cold weather.

Are the Forrester/Impreza ATF filters different from the Legacy's? When I changed it on my Legacy L it was a piece of cake.

I put in synthetic ATF and gear oil (both Mobil1) since the car was going to be up in cold VT. Definitely noticed some smoother shifting w/ the Mobil1.