Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken Wire Fix Tranny Switches

Just thought I would share how I fixed the broken wires on my 4WD indicator switch and Reverse light switch.

This is on a 1987 Subaru DL push button 4WD. These two switches are located on the transfer case. The 4WD indicator is on the passenger side. The reverse light switch is on the drivers side. On the drivers side there are two switches the reverse light switch is the one on top. I am not sure what the lower one is?

Here is what I did. Remove the switch to be repaired. Make sure you have a catch pan underneath as you will lose your transmission oil. Once I had the switches out I soaked them in some Simple Green to get all of the grease and oil off of them. I then took a soldering iron and melted off the black plastic on the top of the switch where the broken wires are. Once this is removed you will see the metal where the wires are connected. At this point I used a multimeter to check the continuity and make sure the switches worked. I then soldered new wires to the switch and then resealed the top with permatex. Let the permatex set and reinstall the switch. I now have reverse lights and my 4WD indicator.

Thanks to everyone on here for the help. I did lots of searching to find out where these switches were.

Todd