Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 L sohc, 68,000 miles. Leaking Oil badly from above the oil pan on the rear of the engine. Could this be the rear main seal or something else? A drip every minute or so. I cant see exactly were it is coming from. any suggestions? are the rear mains a known problem area? thanks

Larry

Muskegon, mi

It's probably your rear acess plate on the back

Subaru has a updated aluminum plate now to replace the plastic one that leaks

2.5 L sohc, 68,000 miles. Leaking Oil badly from above the oil pan on the rear of the engine. Could this be the rear main seal or something else? A drip every minute or so. I cant see exactly were it is coming from. any suggestions? are the rear mains a known problem area? thanks

Larry

Muskegon, mi

There is a plastic piece by the rear main seal that warps. When I had my clutch replaced at 88,000 miles or so (I had the defective organic clutch which you might have also) I had the plastic replaced with metal and a new rear seal.

Just by the car's age you are getting ready for a reseal job soon, my 99 Forester now has 120,000 and all the seals replaced and the usual service done. It was a bit drippy about 88,000 and all the new seals and clean driveway are the cheapest joy I have gotten from the car.

either the engine or tranny has to come out to remove the seal and seperator plate. This is why I would reccomend clutch replacement at the same time if it is a 5 speed. I would clean the engine with steam and be darn sure it was not a valve cover gasket or one of those small seals at the back of the head before I pulled an engine or tranny.

I would leave the front seals and oil pump seal until the late 80s or 90s when I changed the belt.

It is a AT car. I have the head areas nice and clean underneath. Do not see any dripping oil from the head area or from the timing belt/cam areas I think it has to be the the rear main or separator plate. Do AT cars have this plate?

thanks again

larry

Muskegon, Mi