Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace What Else With A 2.5L-2.2L Swap?

Me again :drunk:.

The dealer/garage is hunting around for a '95 2.2L to replace the 2.5L in my '97 OBW with. The first one that was delivered supposedly came out of a front-end collison, and the owner of the garage could tell (that's probably not a good thing). While he was waiting for the first 2.2L, he pulled the car into the garage and pulled the 2.5L out. In the meantime, while he's waiting for a second 2.2L, I think he's trying to maximize his time... he called last night asking if I wanted to replace the clutch this time around, while he's got the engine out. I figure this is probably a good idea, while the engine's out, since I have no idea how many miles are on this clutch, and the engine's out anyway. Haven't had any problems with the current clutch, however.

Anything else I may as well swap out while he's in there? And is it worth it to inspect and replace, or just replace? I figure I'd have him take a look at the clutch, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and rear seal. I'd rather inspect and replace if necessary, since I don't have an unlimited budget (all of this is being taken out of the money set aside for my new computer system).

From what I understand of it (all second-hand knowledge, mostly from this thread) , the 2.5L that was in there had an EGR port on the intake and dual port exhaust. These have to match up for the ECU to be happy and for the exhaust to be plug and play. I believe the only year 2.2L that had these features was the '95s... any later, and they went to a single port exhaust, any earlier didn't have the EGR port. I figure, at least.

The dealer completed the engine swap already... found out when I swung by the shop to let him know to go ahead and swap out the clutch & what not. Ah, well. At least I should be able to pick it up sometime tonight.