Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat out of wagon

If you do that make sure you add some steel reinforcements into the car in some place to make up for the roof strength you are removing. I had a 78 Brat that had the top cut off. In a matter of a couple of years it broke in half! That was even with a home made roll bar on it to give it strength. This was not my work but the previous owners handywork. That was ok with me. Turned out to be a good parts Brat.

I was actually thinking about that earlier today... I've seen some people do something similar to a jeep cherokee, cut out the top around the back cargo area, take out the carpet and put in some pickup bedliner and a tailgate and build a custom internal frame and then make a soft top... I'd practice on one from the junkyard first before doing it to anything remotely nice though... if you do it be sure to post how it turns out

yes I have.

My nephew's friend did it to one in Seattle area and drove it around like that.

Took a sawzall with metal blade and starting just behind Front seat, wacked it off.

Made kind of a bed/pick-up out of back end. Which involved bailing wire and duct tape to keep tail lights on as had too lower them.

He put a roll bar behind the front seats and extended toward the back as now that is out in the open and a single Brat seat in the center in the back facing to the rear with seatbelts etc... The roll bar protected the riders just in case, he drove it all over like that, clear over too the East side of the state where I got a chance too see it. Didn't realize at the time that was the car that got me thinking about getting into these Subaru's!!!

State law required front Windshield and front side windows also the roof above head to keep some integrity and rain off the head. This kid did nothing about dressing up the edges... I mean looked like a giant can-opener attacked this thing...*kids..:rolleyes: . They used this as a beater and took it too the hills over and over again and relentlessly beat the *hit out of it till I am sure they drove it off some cliff somewhere with what ever remained of their empty beer cans... (Joking of course.)

If you have a roo that is short in life... may be a proud way for it too go rather then just...CRUSH.....,

Sorry no pics of that old wagon... It was interesting..:)

*If I were to do it I would dress the edges up with something rather then sharp edges sticking up all around... but hey... I'm an adult and don't have one of those youthfull giant S's on my chest..

Considered doing one my self but am short of funds and long in projects at the moment. Have 7 wagons in the yard at the moment. 3 are getting parted out and one may become a trike!!:grin: My 84 is getting lifted and mods from one (EJ22 donor) parts car. I have a decent 90 legacy ls with moon roof that would make a nice leg-rat. :brow: Who knows, may be some day.