Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Switching distributors. spark now iffy

Went back to basics, I think.

Tested for spark by holding high tension wire from coil to ground. Sometimes no, but all of a sudden, spark.

Tested for spark to plugs. Yes again.

Started right up, but then after 15-20 secinds, dead. All of a sudden, again.

Started over, did nothing different, but cranked right from starter. Don't know if significant, but after 2-3 times. spark again. Wire back in disty, started, 15-29 seconds. dead again.

OH YES.... ECU disconnected-connected..... Made no difference.

WT$^&$^*$#$?????

Me again. Getting really tired of not having my 83 EA81 2WD Sta Wag, not running

Have changed/replaced coil, distributors.

Seems I have something that is frying the pickup in the disty. Ran some tests as advised before. Have power to both sides of coil, but no pulse to neg. side when cranking. I was told that meant ignitor or pick-up coil in disty in NG.

I want to just have a disty w/points and eliminated ECU.

Can this be done. If so, how.

Has anyone ever done this. Can I put points into one of my existing distys? If so again, how.

Anyone have a diagram or.....

I assume I still need the two leads from coil going to disty. But where to hook up. And would I then need a condensor? And where would that go.

Would I need a resistor, too?

I know this seems like a lot of stupid questions, but there don't seem to be any mechanics in the area that could help. And with only 46K on the engine and not a spec of rust on this baby, I'd really like to get it runnung.

Thanks.

Any online manuals, diagrams you could point me to wouls be appreciated.

It would seem you might have the wires to the coil on wrong? Which wire colors do you have going to + and - on yours?

The ECU isnt necessary to make it run, just controls fuel mixture. Spark is independent. Yours would fire with it unplugged even. I wish mine (1983 Fuel Injected Turbo) was that way.

BTW did you get the disty I mailed you? I never got an email from FedEx saying it was delivered which seems weird.