Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some Hesitation Issues, Suggestions?

Was having a problem with loss of power at freeway speeds an hills and occasionally car would die when coming to a stop afterwards, dash would also display EGR when this happend. Went home for the holidays, changed plugs, wires, cap-rotor, coil, both fuel filters. Car ran great, drove back down to oregon hauling rump roast no stumbles. This morning car started doing the same old thing again??? im guessing bad pcv or egr, or fuel pump dying??? Anyone else have had similar issues.

Looks like a vacuum leak for now we'll see what happens.

It definitely doesn't work better WITH it. The EGR was designed to reduce NOx emissions by introducing an inert gas (exhaust) at higher engine temperatures, where oxides of nitrogen form (above 3,000 degrees farenheit). The problem is that the Subaru engines (exclusive of turbos) don't generally reach the internal temps needed to formulate NOx (but catalytic convertors ironically do), but they're there to appease the EPA. The valves get crusty with exhaust products and then leak, and you have a non-combustible gas going into the cylinder when you're trying to idle or when you need to produce power.

Could it be carburettor icing? Does it clear up by itself, after waiting a few minutes at the side of the road?

Check that the hot air "stove" is connected to the air filter. If not, hook it up, and see if that helps.

• 1 month later...
Could it be carburettor icing? Does it clear up by itself, after waiting a few minutes at the side of the road?

Check that the hot air "stove" is connected to the air filter. If not, hook it up, and see if that helps.

It Does clear up after I turn it off for a bit "sometimes", Now im having troubles starting as well just not getting fuel.

I had a similar problem with an old pickup of mine (88 dodge dakota 3.9 V6). It happened following a few months of storage on my drive cross country. The truck ran fine at highway speeds, but when leaving the exit ramp and coming to a stop the truck would sputter and die, but would restart without too much resistance....ended up making the journey from Utah to CT in 48 hours, minimizing number of stops...basically only to refuel. When I finally got the time to work on the prob, it turned out to be the EGR valve; which was replaced and never had the prob again. Haven't encountered this with a subaru yet, though.

Cheers