Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Esay one: '92 Loyale; OBD I or OBD II?

neither - they have an OBD system, but it does not follow either OBDI or II specs, there is no plug-in for a computer interface, but you can read trouble codes off a light on the control unit. There are extensive write-ups on this proceedure in the tech manual section, as well as in various threads if you search for them.

OBD II is 1996 MY or later

My 89 has OBDI they started switching over some where in that time era i believe, so your 92 would be an OBDI. The orange/yellow connector on your drivers side strut tower is the connector for it. OBDII was federally mandated in 1996, not many cars had it before then, and those that did had very different versions of it.

the SPFI systems are completely interchangeable 1986-1994 - the OBD system, while present, is NOT the same as the American OBD I - that was developed in-house and put ONLY on American cars as a sort of "test-run" for a federally standardized OBD system - OBD II was the final incarnation of OBD I, and it was mandated in 1996 - hence why all cars 1996 and newer have 2 (or more) O2 sensors - the later one is to check the catalytic converter for operation

that said OBD systems have been around since the birth of the ECU - the Subaru system is very useful, and effective at troubleshooting problems - they are also simple - connect two wires, and watch the ECU light flash, count the flashes, and refer to the error code chart - I know the system well, because I installed it lock, stock, and barrel on my car

the connector you are refering to merely is a dealer plug-in that checks to see that the CAS is working properly, among other things - it is actually quite useless - the FSM does not even detail how to use it, and that is supposed to be the dealer's reference tool - There was a tool to read the computers, but they are EXTREMELY rare - the ECU's cannot even be reflashed by the dealer - they have to go back to Japan for that.

Incidentally - the chip in the Loyale/GL/DL's SPFI ECU is very similar to the Apple II's processor. That may give you an idea of the massive amount of computing power controlling your engine.