Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flooded when hot? '84 Brat

After I go for a spin and the Brat gets up to operating temperature, if I park it and leave it for about an hour, maybe less, its realy hard to start. I can tell its flooded and it takes me a couple minutes for her to clear up and get started. I know its getting flooded by the smell of unburned fuel coming into the cabin. Choke is not sticking closed since I have already checked this. What else would cause this to happen?

If I didn't know better I would say that sounds like vapor lock, but with an electric pump back at the tank..... maybe the exhaust is too close to one of the hard fuel lines running to the pump? That's a shot in the dark tho.....

Fuel pump continueing to run after engine is shut off? Fualty FPCU perhaps?

Perhaps a heat sensitive ignition component that is beat hit with residual engine heat once shutdown? Another shot in the dark.

When it's doing this, check for spark, and fuel. Air you obviously have since it does run. One of the big three is not matching up anyway....

well when I go out and start her up, she runs like a dream. Even my '78 Brat didn't run this good. I was thinkin it was a vapor lock problem but I can smell the gas even before I start cranking it over. I know its not the fuel pump since I can hear it click on and off with the ignition.

My brat is doing the exact same thing... I haven't been able to figure it out either, I think theres suposed to be a fuel shutoff valve in the carbrator thats no longer working, or something. I know it's not the fuel pump continuing to run after the car is shut off, so I've ran out of ideas.