Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tomorrow, i'm going to have a look at a 97 legacy estate,2.5 auto, wiyh 143000 miles on the clock. Anything I should look out for?

Head gaskets i'm aware of, but what are the signs of impending doom?

What is a reasonable age for an auto box to go bang?

Ummmm...

Anything else?

It looks nice- metallic grey with all the snazz.Two owners and Dealer histoy from new. Does that make it any less likely to have issues?

Appreciate any advice/comments.

Cheers mateys

Nixon

Here's a list of everything thats gone wrong on my 97 OBW 2.5 and 135k.

Alternator- Recall

Front crankshaft seal

Left front wheel bearing

Camshaft seals

Head Gaskets

No power to rear wheels.

If I where you I would pay close attention to the head gaskets. As a matter of fact read every thread about them and overheating. This is going to be questionable advice to some, but if you stomp on the gas and the front wheels spin, I'd question the AWD. Read all the threads concerning it. The car has a value around $2500-$4k. If your not able to do the work yourself and you find problems or question the AWD or Head gaskets, I'd walk away. :)

If you are in England it might be possible that the car has the 2.2 engine. This is a far better engine than the 2.5 IMHO. Head gasket problems are rare and they run for years.

I think my brother in law has about a 97 Legacy wagon in New Zealand and I am sure it has a 2.2. He has had no trouble at all other than regular service.

Thanks for your advice. I passed on this one. No sign of bubbles or oil in the coolant, or water in the oil. AWD seemed to work fine, no torque bind either. in fact, the tranny fluid was a nice rosy red, and engine oil a nice golden brown. It did, however, need new discs and pads all round, and four new tyres- there were 3 different makes, of differing tread depths on it. The "full subaru service history ended at 110000 miles, and it pulled badly to the left, which may have had something to do with the badly fitting front bumper, and welds around the front passenger strut tower!

oh well, it was only 20 minutes away.not like I had to drive 300 miles to see it.

Shame though, cos the engine seemed like a peach.

Thanks again for your advice.