Ultimate Subaru Message Board

window woes *update*

Well the drivers side window in my 87 gl wagon is acting funny.

When I try and roll it up with the hand crank it will not go.

It will go down just fine.

But now the window is not lining up with the car door at all. I can almost fit my whole hand out the window in the "up" position. It goes up far enough but it tips out.

I have a parts car I can get what I need (I hope) from, but if any one has some good advice on windows I need it.

Do you think it is just "off track" and I can just put it back on?

Or is there some part that has broke and needs to be replaced?

Thanks for the help!

-=fred=-

The glass is attached to a plastic bracket with an epoxy type glue. The bracket is then attached to the regulator mechanism with 6mm (10mm head) bolt. It sounds like either of those have come loose. Just pull the door panel and take a look. It should be pretty obvious.

You're going to need to get the window crank handle off to pull the door panel. To do that, take a piece of mechanic's wire or a coat hanger and make a sharp bend in it. Cut it off right after the bend, so that you have a small hook on the end. You can use that to pull the C clip off of the crank handle.

You're going to need to get the window crank handle off to pull the door panel. To do that, take a piece of mechanic's wire or a coat hanger and make a sharp bend in it. Cut it off right after the bend, so that you have a small hook on the end. You can use that to pull the C clip off of the crank handle.

That's work good too, but I prefer the "old rag" method. Take an old rag and fold it in half, run the rag around the base of the crank, and then pull one side. Sort of like using sand paper on a round object. The little clip catches on the rag, and pops off. It's hard to describe, but try it a few times and you'll see what I mean. Usually works first time.

Good luck,

NV

Well I got the interior door panel off, well the one that has the cubby in it. Now I can see sheet metal covered in plastic. There are several bolts, some under the plastic some not, but I do not know what to do next.

Do I pull the plastic off and undo all the bolts?

Or do I just pull the bolts off that are not under the plastic?

Help!

Thanks,

-=fred=-

Well I paniced.

I pulled the plastic off and I could see the inner-working of the window.

The window was off the plastic holders that move it up and down.

I pulled the window out and put some epoxy glue on it and put it back in place.

I plan on letting it dry and then having a working window.

Thanks for the help!

-=fred=-