Ultimate Subaru Message Board

00 ob. Only seems to leak when very cold, and seems to leak from where the hose and the sold fitting mate up, lower engine hose. I've tightened everythign but still seems to leak. However when the engine warms up etc it appears to stop. (when i drive for a while then stop and idle it...no dripping) Seems like once the system gets warm things expand and "seal" up. Any ideas or suggestions etc? Seems kind of odd too me

thx

My 00' Legacy Wagon does the same exact thing. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago while underneath the car. There was never a puddle; only a droplet formed on the lower radiator hose. No other coolant leaking anywhere. I don't know if it happens only when cold though.

I'm just going to replace the lower radiator hose/clamp and thermostat while I'm at it. I'll see if that takes care of it.

I thought about just putting a new clamp on first to see how that works...but it's so cold here in NE that should open a can of worms i'm done....also, it's so minimal and i'm sure i've been living with it for a while and not even noticing it. I only noticed it when i left my skid off after changing the oil. Let me know how it goes...removing the lower hose equals coolant everywhere and when it's 10degrees out....maybe better left for warmer days....but then it doesn't leak! :) i check the hoses real close, no cracks or such?!?

Glad im not alone...anyone else ever experience this....? how'd you fix it?

Cars have done this since the Model T and maybe before that. There are two or three cold weather tricks I'll mention. Remove the hose and clean it and apply a thin layer of silicon seal, very thin. This expands and contracts better than the hose. Use two hose clamps. I face them in different directions. Tighten when full cold. Move to California. I did this and it works best.