Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to put heated seats in a legacy

Here is my original post from a couple weeks ago. Many of you where nice to offer your suggestions. Today I finally figured it out and boy my tush was warm. I'll go over how I did it so that anyone else can give it a try if they want. However I'm no electician or mechanic so try this at your own risk.

"Hi I just replaced my old seats with leather outback limited seats. They have seat warmers but unfortunatly nothing exists to plug them inot in my legacy l wagon. Is there a way to make this work or is the electical for the seat heaters part of the wiring harness. Thanks."

Well first if you want seat heaters your going to need to find some outback seats that have the heater elements and wiring in them. I found some leather outback limited seats for my legacy out at a junk yard for a good price. I think any seats fro 95 to 99 will work with cars from those years.

Next you need to find and pull the relay switches from the center console and the wiring that goes with them. Theres a lot of wiring and I was lucky enough to be able to pull apart the car whose seats I took. I wish I had a picture to post if anyone wants i can give them a diagram of what they'll be looking for. For now I'l explain the best I can.

There are four wires going to each relay switch. They are tan, yellow with green stripe, blue, and black. Here is what each wire does. The blue is your positive lead, the black is your ground. It took me a while to figure out the tan a yellow green. However it finally dawned on me that these two wires control the back light of the relay switches and tie into the dimmer switch.

So here is how it all came together. I ran wires to the cigar lighter for my positive and negative Then I tied the yellow green and tan wires into the wires feeding the ilumitation bulb in the automatic shifter console " sorry I don't know how you'd do this with a stick". After I taped it all up and doublechecked all my conections I ran the wires to under the seats " note that you have to pull the whole center console out and the front seats as well in order to do this job". I plugged the seats in turned on the car fliped the seat heater relay switch and voila a heated rump.

I don't know how well this is going to read so please if you have any questions ask away. I just wanted to let my fellow legacy L brethren know that they to can now have heated bums.

Thanks

J